Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blogging?


Blogging has moved beyond an acceptable form of digital tools to an increasingly preferable medium in the field of education.  There are many reasons why this shift has occurred.  The benefits of blogging far exceed traditional pen and paper assignments.

            I think one of the most powerful benefits of blogging may be the motivation students feel when having the world as their potential audience.  My daughter writes on fan fiction and she screams and comes running downstairs when people from other countries have made comments on her posts.  She read me some of the comments made:  some were very insightful, some, positive and some, with readers begging her to continue.  She has always been a strong writer but her enthusiasm with every new review is contagious; it is exciting for me to share that pride with her.  It far exceeded the Author’s Tea at her school.  


 I think it would be equally powerful for my ELL students, especially if people from their native countries could have access to their blogs.  The only problem being that many of their relatives do not speak English.  Perhaps, we could create a link to Google Translate.  

While I realize that is not the best resource because it translates so literally, I think the main idea of their writing could be communicated in that way especially if photographs and videos are incorporated into their blogs.  Motivation is crucial to a district like mine that is struggling with academic achievement; perhaps this could be one of the keys in moving students forward. 

As a teacher, I would need to blog simply to understand the tool that I am trying to incorporate into lessons.  It would be rather difficult to teach something I don’t even know myself.  Also, I had learned in the previous writing class that one of the most powerful things for students is seeing their teacher immersed in the writing process themselves.  I can’t think of an easier way to give students access to my thought processes and words.  For example, I really enjoyed "Ideas and Thoughts," Dean Shareskis blog:  Ideas and Thoughts | Learning stuff since 1964.   Not only was it entertaining, but he demonstrated how one may take other’s suggestions and comments and try them out, as in the numbers video.  

Additionally, one of the links, http://apcalc07.blogspot.com/ contained a teacher, Darren Kuropatwa that asked for feedback on his lessons at the conclusion of the year.  Besides the sense of empowerment students must feel, I think their input is an essential component of self reflection.  It would give the teacher insight for future planning along with the realization that you cannot please everyone all of the time, as evident by the comments.  I found it interesting that what some students wanted, others would want to change.  I would like to try something similar to see what my students found effective and what they didn't.



            One of my most favorite blogs was from that of an English class that wrote six word memoirs.  The idea intrigued me.  I have been thinking about writing one for days but I have as yet to come up with something brilliant.  J  Ms. Shay's English class memoirs



I also enjoyed Deb Norton’s blog.  The videos were practical for instructing me how to use iMovie and such.  The organization ideas were cute too, Sharing Technology by Deb Norton http://www.sharingtechnology.blogspot.com/.

Sharing Technology
Reflection

Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. (3rd ed.). Corwin Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment