Sunday, January 27, 2013

Flipboard


I have been struggling with ways to better integrate the iPads with instruction but it has been difficult for me to keep up with all the technological tools available as well as what is most appropriate for each grade.  The lower grades are a little easier for me because of my experience as a first grade teacher but the older grades are still challenging for me.  I loved the vimeo of first graders illustrating their visualizations of Eloise Green's poem.  I was curious what app they were using but haven't figured it out yet.  

                               

Flipboard is an app for iPads that takes RSS feeds and turns them into what is described as a magazine for kids to 'flip through'.  Thankfully, the latest Richardson chapter just taught me what RSS means, otherwise, I would not have had a clue what that even meant.  The website gives you a tour of the app to give you a better idea of what I mean.  It is available on iPads and  Android devices.




.  


On Judy's Integrating Technology and Literacy blog, I found a great blog on integrating iPads in the classroom for first through fifth graders.  The iPads at Burley blog gives an excellent, thorough explanation why using this app is effective.  The teacher is able to provide a wide variety of content materials based on student interests and the texts are at various reading levels both lending themselves to natural differentiation. Also, the RSS feeds are continuous making them constantly current.  All articles are authentic just as adults would read, giving students the real world application.  Thus, connecting to the first and second NETS standards provided by ISTE.  

There is a YouTube video on Flipboard that explains how to use it that focuses on social media platforms but I'm sure educational content could be substituted.  






Resources

Flipboard. (2012). Flipboard website. Retrieved from http://flipboard.com/
Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms. (3rd ed.). Corwin Press.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to go download Flipboard on my iPad right now. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete