Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Digital Storytelling



I was so excited when I stumbled upon Larry Ferlazzo's blog because not only does he have great ideas for digital storytelling but he is an excellent resource for ideas for teaching my ELLs!!  I can't think of a better way to motivate them, to inspire creativity, to integrate technological tools, and to simply get them to write with a project based approach all while giving them an opportunity for self expression.  



Sadly, as I talked to my students, I discovered that most of them don't know their "stories."  They couldn't answer my questions about immigration or what their parent or grandparents lives were like in their native countries.  Some of them could describe some details of their native countries but not as much as I had hoped.  I will try to reach out to the families but that is difficult with the language barriers.  

Admittedly, I wanted to include many of the tools but I haven't explored enough to feel that I can choose my favorite at this point.  I promise I will update as soon as I figure out more....but I do know that it will be another way I can better integrate my iPads.  The iPads are so versatile that students can use them for photos, videos, and text.  They just need a teacher that can get herself savvy with all the tools. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I found this link on one of my feeds...didn't read all of it, but thought it might have some good links for your kiddos...
    http://www.freetech4teachers.com/2013/01/five-good-feeds-for-ela-and-ell-teachers.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+freetech4teachers%2FcGEY+%28Free+Technology+for+Teachers%29#.UQnIEr88CSo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!!
      You know what is funny? I was sitting in a workshop for technology today. When I clicked on your comment and opened the link, I saw the photo of the presenter that was two feet away from me. I was trying top open his blog at about the same time. It tickled me! <3

      Delete
  2. I can imagine that the language barrier can be so difficult when trying to "inspire creativity". Have you considered trying to have them create a story that all of you can be on equal ground with like a day at school or the cold weather? Im sure you have but, its just a thought! Hang in there Garden Faerie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet, thank you for the ideas! I will be happy with anything they write at this point just to feel like we accomplished something :0) I really appreciate your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait a minute, Anna. When you wrote the presenter was right in front of you, do you mean you were attending a session run by Richard Byrne, who has the Free Technology for Teachers blog? If so, you need to share this info in class.

    ReplyDelete