Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Are You Looking for a Cool Way to Create a Word Web? Try Popplet!


One of the easiest instructional strategies for ELLs is to incorporate semantic maps.  This strategy has become rather common place so the Popplet app adds a refreshing novelty.  Popplet is usually a paid app on Apple devices but I have heard it is offered for free sometimes or you can access it on the website for free.  The free version is limited to 5 creations but you are able to share or export your popplets and save them as pdf or jpeg files.  The following video describes how to use the features of the app.  



I created a popplet on nonfiction text features to try it out.  Since the site would not let me embed the popplet I created, I decided to take a screen shot.  My awesome sister-n-law taught me how.  Thank you, Elena!!!!  




I exported the popplet as a pdf file but I don't know how to upload it in that format.  I was hoping to enlarge it so that it could be more easily seen but this seems to be the best I can do.  If anyone knows a better way, please feel free to share!

It is really easy so I plan to have my students create their own.  Some ideas for application are:

  1. Building vocabulary
  2. Synonyms
  3. Story mapping
  4. Main idea and supporting details

Can you think of anymore?


2 comments:

  1. Ann,

    This is a great tool to have for students. You can use it for cause and effect,a Venn Diagram or T-chart. I would like to use it for either character traits or sequencing events in a story.

    ReplyDelete