Saturday, February 2, 2013

VOKI



This is NOT my Voki, I was all set to embed the Voki I had previously created.  However, now that type of avatar is for Voki Education use which is only free for a short amount of time...aggravating. So, I decided to try to take a screen shot of it at least.  The following are directions I found online to do so:




<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EoTpIYLBtKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

but all I get is this code, it didn't work...grrr...

Anyhow, the tool still has some other avatars that are still free but in the process of looking for one, I lost my original pretty avatar...double grrr...

I am disenchanted with this tool at the moment but I will share some cool ideas for using it since that was my original intent.  

ELL Ideas for Application

  1. To model fluency by creating a good and bad example and then having students discuss which example was easier to understand and why.
  2. Students can record themselves reading for a similar activity or for self reflection
  3. For giving rules for using capital letters and examples
  4. To tell homophone jokes
  5. To practice writing sentences from dictation
  6. Students to make their own Vokis to demonstrate their knowledge of helping verbs
  7. To present their findings on culture studies
  8. To create Vokis that illustrate different heteronyms
  9. To create a Voki that summarizes their news articles

Resources





4 comments:

  1. Sorry for the trouble with you Voki......technology can be extremely frustrating!! Thank you for posting the directions it is a great resource. Also, I love your ideas for using a Voki in the classroom. Some of my students this year are really struggling with fluency and I am looking for any resources that can help. Thanks Ann!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leslie! I hope the fluency activities work, it seems like it would be more fun and engaging. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ann! Just wondering if your Voki was hard to create?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is only time consuming if you want to try to create a specialized Voki, otherwise, they have many animal or creature Vokis that are already created and all you have to do is pick one. :0)

    ReplyDelete