Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What Makes You Itch?


Personally, I found this video very powerful.  Although I love parts of my job, I don't feel as though my job is overall satisfying...I love teaching but I don't love the teacher that I have become if that makes any sense.  While I understand the necessity of assessments and accountability, I think it is potentially detrimental to how children learn naturally.  I don't feel that I have the freedom to develop their curiosities and creativity by exploring topics in depth or spending the time on projects that are of interest to them.  It is too expensive and  if I did they might not be able to pass standardized tests. I wish that I was independently wealthy so I could just spend time engaged in learning activities led by children.  To me, experiencing the sense of wonder and discovery through a child's eyes is a wonderful feeling!  I think there is too much anger and hatred in the world.  Perhaps, as educators, we should be responsible for leading students on a path of self discovery, as opposed to pounding knowledge [that they don't care about and will most likely forget because it is irrelevant to the their lives] into their heads (often unsuccessfully). How many students get to high school or even college and have no idea what they want to be (my middle baby included)? This saddens me, and like I always do, I feel that I have not done my job both as a teacher and as a parent. I truly believe that having a passion for what you do will bring joy.  It may sound corny, but I also think that if people lived in joy, there would be much more peace in the world...


6 comments:

  1. This is a powerful video. I understand and agree with your frustration about teaching students topics that are not related to their interest levels. The school systems are too focused on assessments. Even with the common core, educators will be concerned about teaching students to do well on these assessments. This impacts a student's self-image and can interfere with developing a true love for learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Lea!
      I'm not sure if he actually said it but Einstein is credited with the following quote:

      "Everybody is a genius. But, if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

      Sometimes I feel this way about assessments....

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd volunteer a few times a week with no strings attached. Everyone in charge is missing the point, we should be focused on what is in the best interest of each student instead of focused on remaining globally competitive by producing high test scores on assessments. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even sure if I would want to volunteer in the school setting. I think I would like to do more field type of teaching like Nature's classroom or something hands on like that. I think it would be really fun. I love to teach but I guess just not in the formal setting. :0) Thank you for your motivation!! I really appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete