Sunday, February 24, 2013

Digital Storytelling Project

Ibrahim's Story





This project has turned out to be much more time consuming than I had anticipated...

However, the pride that Ibrahim exudes makes it well worth the effort!  My Wiki page for East Hartford Public Schools will also have this video embedded so that he will have the opportunity to share our creation with family and friends.  Additionally, through this process, I feel that I have built a much stronger relationship with Ibrahim and his sister (who is also an ELL student at the EHHS).  ELL students need an opportunity such as this to show how much they do know because too often, other students don't realize the wealth of information and the new perspectives that could be shared with students from other parts of the world.  Although the project tried my patience at times, I am grateful for the opportunity.

This is a very rough draft of the concept that I had originally thought I would pursue but it was difficult with all the time off we have had compounded with not seeing my students every day.  However, I corresponded with Ibrahim and his sister outside of school often to try to make up for lost time and fill the seemingly endless gaps.  His sister, Shabana answered many questions and provided me with their personal photographs.  She was exceedingly helpful and then thanked me for my time and helping her practice her English!

The second draft has some of the questions I had, answered but I had some difficulty uploading the pictures that Shabana gave me.  Thankfully, the photos uploaded onto Moviemaker with no problem.  The video seems lengthy at this point because Ibrahim has had some difficulty reading his script and we haven't even covered all the areas I wanted to at this point.  Additionally, he didn't keep the microphone near his mouth so  some of the narration fades out.  I think I will edit some of the script and re-record some of the narration to shorten the video; I may have to delete somethings as well.  I am afraid to upload the video at this point because I am unsure if I will be able to edit it again once I have saved it and I REALLY don't want to do it all again!

The third draft has been edited.


6 comments:

  1. This looks like it is going to be amazing! Can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If you are using Photostory, just save your unfinished project. Then go all the way to the end and publish it too. That way you can see the "finished" one but you can also keep working on the one you saved as a draft. That's what I've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! It looks great! Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to look at it and for the feedback! :)

      Delete
  4. What an amazing opportunity you afforded this student! It must have been a welcoming and moving experience for him to share about his life and culture. Be proud!

    ReplyDelete