Friday, February 8, 2013

Time Zones...Who Knew?

TED Ed Talks
Why do we have standardized time in the United States?




In my RSS feed, Richard Byrne posted this and other related videos.  Maybe all of you already knew this so please forgive my ignorance as I did not.  I thought it was interesting and thought it could be used for units on Industrial Revolution.  ELL students benefit greatly from multimedia in lessons so I thought maybe I would try to utilize more of these types of videos in my instruction especially for reader (well viewer) response questions.  If I had a class with a blog, I might embed a video with questions for students to blog about.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Ann! This RSS feed was really cool! I had no idea that is how standardized time came about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I am not the only one, I figured I should have learned it somewhere along the line but I didn't remember it. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the animation and naration, this video somewhat reminds me of the "Schoolhouse Rock" segments from the 70's that I grew up with (minus the catchy songs) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0
    What I ask myself these days when thinking about it is, "did the info from those videos stick with me because I saw them over and over again on succesive Saturday mornings or were they genuinely composed of the perfect mixture of entertainment and education?" Which, I feel, brings up an important point: Education should have some element of entertainment to it. Entertainment could simply be making the lesson relevant to the student so that he/she does not feel like they are being led down an abstract path with no recognizable way points and strange surroundings. This must be doubly hard for ELL teachers who more than likely have very little in common culturaly with thier students. A lesson with an entertaining element might bridge the gap between the strange and the familiar.

    ReplyDelete